Reply Here to Join or Start a Flying Session

BEFORE YOU FLY AT SOGGI'S FLYING SITES ...

Be aware that the use of SOGGI's flying sites is limited to SOGGI Members and their accompanied Guests. Your continued enjoyment of our flying sites relies on maintaining good relationships with all stakeholders including the pilots and their passengers who fly above us, the owner of the property that we are allowed to use, the farm personnel, our surrounding neighbours, and your fellow club members. Thank you for doing your part to maintain these relationships.

Now it's time for you to hook up with some friends and have some fun. Scroll down and click on the Topic "Reply Here to Join or Start a Flying Session" . Happy Flying !
Forum rules
BEFORE YOU FLY AT SOGGI'S FLYING SITES ...

Be aware that the use of SOGGI's flying sites is limited to SOGGI Members and their accompanied Guests. Your continued enjoyment of our flying sites relies on maintaining good relationships with all stakeholders including the pilots and their passengers who fly above us, the owner of the property that we are allowed to use, the farm personnel, our surrounding neighbours, and your fellow club members. Thank you for doing your part to maintain these relationships.

Now it's time for you to hook up with some friends and have some fun. Scroll down and click on the Topic "Reply Here to Join or Start a Flying Session" . Happy Flying !
Bob H

Flying Sunday Aug 19

Post by Bob H » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:35 pm

Aim to be there about 9 AM. No rain forecast. Winds moderate from the NE. Will bring the club winch.

Bob H

Bob H

Re: Tuesday August 14/18 Flying Session

Post by Bob H » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:50 pm

As of 10 PM Monday, Tuesday's forecast is Sunny with light winds from North changing to East as the day progresses. High of 84 degrees F at 1 PM. No rain. I plan to join Lyle at the field.

Bob H

Lyle J

Re: Tuesday, August 14/18 Flying Session

Post by Lyle J » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:03 pm

Afternoon:
The Wind & Wave site is calling for light winds tomorrow with a possible chance of light rain in the early hours. If the rain stops and it clears up, I shall be hauling my planes to the field sometime after 9:30 am and probably stay until 1 or so depending on conditions. I'm taking both line launch and electric planes and will be working on my landings.....what else?

Cheers!
Lyle

Bob H

Flying Sunday Aug 12 at Mines Rd

Post by Bob H » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:25 pm

I plan to fly, probably 9-ish. I'm bringing the club winch.

Bob H

Ray M

Re: Reply Here to Join or Start a Flying Session

Post by Ray M » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:41 am

Rats.. charlie brown..!!
Can't make Saturday, but definitely will Sunday.
Hope to be out early before the forecast winds come up.. so if there are any leftover flyers from Saturday who
haven't had enough.... Hope to see y'all there.

Cheers
Ray

Lyle J

Re: Friday, August 3/18 Flying Session

Post by Lyle J » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:34 pm

Evening All!
The wind & wave forecast for this upcoming Friday looks favourable! I have an appointment in the morning, but I hoping to be able to hit the field around noon and stay for the afternoon. I will be bringing my hi-starts and my Sophisticated Lady and the Wanderer 99. I will be practicing landing near the tape and if that fails......hopefully the field! : )

Cheers!
Lyle

Update: The forecast still looks yummy for Friday and I got rid of my morning appointment, so I am going to hit the field early, probably around 8 am and stay until noon, as we have a contest on Saturday.

Cheers!
Lyle

Bob H

Flying Tuesday July 31 Mines Road

Post by Bob H » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:52 am

I aim to be there 9:30 AM with hi-start. Sunny cloudy mix, winds NE 12 km

Epilogue:
9:30 AM arrived at the field. Turned on phone to call Hamilton tower, but was interrupted by a text message from my caring wife, forwarding a thunderstorm weather warning for the Caledonia area. There were some darkish clouds in the area. Better safe than sorry. So I turned the phone off and went home without flying. On arriving home, wife pointed out that her message was actually sent last Sunday when I also had the phone switched off, and in any case I should have read her message's date-stamp when i opened it today.

It's frustrating when she's right. She's been right most of the time, starting 43 years ago this Thursday.

Bob H

Lyle J

Re: R/C Flying Next Week

Post by Lyle J » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:02 pm

Further to my earlier posting, it looks like I won't be hitting the Mines Rd field on this Thursday. : ( Sunday's forecast still looks favourable! I might get there early for a few hours.

Cheers!
Lyle

Bob H

Report on Slope Soaring of July 24

Post by Bob H » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:05 pm

I've finally satisfied my curiosity regarding the height of the Westover drumlin. I moved my airplane from the Westover crossroads to the top of the drumlin and while doing so, noted the change registered by the model's altimeter. At its' highest point, the Westover drumlin soars 36 Meters (118 Ft) over the pavement at Westover's crossroads.

Today I flew the "i-SOAR" off the drumlin a few times and eventually had one modestly-successful flight. I was joined by Dick C with his "Ninja" and Ann T with her SIG "Wonder" (converted from electric).

Windspeed on the drumlin was unreliable all morning, with sudden gusts followed by lulls. To avoid aerodynamic stall, the challenge was to maintain an adequate airspeed. This was easier said than done, particularly on downwind runs when returning to the hill. Even with a relatively high downwind groundspeed, a strong gust could still overtake the aircraft, causing airspeed to drop and stall to occur.

Anyway, we all had a few rough landings, but luckily damage was minimal. Afterwards we went to Tim's. By then I was steady enough to fly a donut and a coffee into my pie-hole. All-in-all it was a good day.

Bob H

Slope Soaring Tuesday July 24

Post by Bob H » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:15 pm

Current Superforecast predicts south winds from 9 AM to 2 PM at 20 kph gusting to 37 kph.
I will aim to be at the slope around 9AM, and will e-mail HCA before departing from home.

Bob H