SOGGI Club ALES contest Results Aug 11th 2019

NEW AND IMPROVED PROCEDURE:
In this Forum, Contest Directors (or Special Event Directors) are invited to report RESULTS from Contests (or Events) that have already occurred.

UPCOMING Contests and Events are ADVERTISED on our WEBSITE's rolling Calendar of Events. That way, events will automatically be maintained in chronological order, and then deleted from our Calendar of Events after their scheduled date has passed.
To include an event on the SOGGI calendar please contact the Special Events Organizer via the Contacts page on the SOGGI website.
Forum rules
To attach a photograph to your message, use the "Upload Attachment" tab that appears below the "New Topic" and/or "PostReply" forms
Mike S

SOGGI Club ALES contest Results Aug 11th 2019

Post by Mike S » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:11 pm

Unfortunately, perhaps due to changing event dates/weather, there was only four contestants.
Thus these results do not contribute to Ales standings.

Never the less we had fun.

Adam Mass came first with 2316 points.
Jim Laslett " " 1870 "

interestingly the points to fourth round were quite close- 1187, 1076, 1040, 851.

Having watched Jim make massive zoom launches, I increased my zoom each launch
until in the fourth round I went for the gusto pulling a massive g load on the ICON 2
resulting in a moon like launch followed by the shedding of the left wing (37" gone on one side)
followed by a death dive at mach 1. Fortunately I was able to recover pretty quickly by going to
cruise mode ( which gave me flaps acting in unison with the ailerons) and I went to max control
rates. This configuration made it quite controllable. I only needed about 1/3 full throw.
(all be at Mach 1).
It came down in a big arc from 400' to ground in ?? seconds (Timer still had his mouth open and
failed to stop the stop watch for my fourth round) Bet it was a record low time.
The ship came past at low altitude but way too fast to go for landing points so I consumed much
of our field to make the landing.

The other high light of the day was Lyles claim of the only tree on the field.
It took him the full contest of practice, but finally he succeeded in snagging
the highest twig. See attached evidence.

Thanks to those that did turn out and especially in helping me (with my gammy leg).

Especially Lyle, who again provided lunch.

Mike S
CD for this event.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.