RX Mystery

Tell us about your new construction project. Seek advice if you have flight trimming problems.
Forum rules
To attach a photograph to your message, use the "Upload Attachment" tab that appears below the "New Topic" and/or "PostReply" forms
Ann T

Re: RX Mystery

Post by Ann T » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:49 pm

Thanks, Ted. Both links were useful. It's comforting to know that I'm not the only person this has happened to.

I think my old Hitec rcvrs have drifted off frequency and I'm not going to use them. Considering how old they are and how much smaller new rcvrs are, I am not going to attempt to have Hitec repair them, I will just replace them. I bought an inexpensive 2.4 Ghz radio (Airtronics) and I'm going to try it with my handlaunch gliders. If it works out, I will probably abandon my 72Mhz radios and switch over to 2.4Ghz.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers,
Ann T.

Ted M

Post by Ted M » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:16 pm

late reply, but found this - maybe you could send them in to Hitec?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=758021

if you need replacements, consider these:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/stor ... oduct=6406
very cheap, and work on any channel. getting it to find the frequency sometimes takes several tries, but once it locks in it seems permanent. none have gone unlocked so far after two years, and range is twice that of my crystal receivers, typically 75m+ with the antenna down.

Andy M

Post by Andy M » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:47 pm

Hi Ann,

I don't have any root cause ideas, but unless you can find something definitively wrong with each of the 3 that does not exist (yet) on the other one, I wouldn't risk using it. Given the relative value of the model to the Rx and the safety implications, I would say it isn't worth it.

Andy

Ann T

Post by Ann T » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:25 pm

Sorry, I meant Hitec 535 Rx's - not 555's.

Ann T

RX Mystery

Post by Ann T » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:20 pm

After an 11 year absence, I am finally getting back into the hobby. I sent all of my nicad batteries to the hazardous waste depot and have replaced them with new ones. All 3 of my TX's are now working nicely. However, of my four Hitec 555 RX's, three have stopped working. They were all working when I stopped using them over 10 years ago. If one wasn't working, I'd chalk it up to chance, but with 3 out of 4 kaput, I am suspicious. And I am nervous about using the one remaining, functional Hitec 555 rx.

Has anyone experienced this before? My hubby suggested that the programmed chips within the RX's may have lost their programmes over time. Is that possible??

I tested the crystals in all the RX's by using them in the functional RX - they all worked. I used the same battery and servo to test all of the Rx's.

Any ideas??