T-Hunter Discussion & Planning

Tell us about your new construction project. Seek advice if you have flight trimming problems.
Forum rules
To attach a photograph to your message, use the "Upload Attachment" tab that appears below the "New Topic" and/or "PostReply" forms
Lyle J

Re: T-Hunter Discussion & Planning

Post by Lyle J » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:38 am

Morning!
I have finally cleared my work bench and I am now starting the T-Hunter build. I have been noting the deficiencies and have acted accordingly. I am going really slowly, dry fitting all the pieces together, then disassembling and commencing the actual build. Hopefully, this will help to eliminate too many errors!

It's not a great time of the year to be starting a build, imo! There's so much going on, holidays, outdoor maintenance/projects and oh, let's not forget flying! It's a great time to go flying!!! For these reasons, this will be a slow build and that's okay with me. I have decided not to rush this build and just enjoy the journey.

I read somewhere that only 60% of kits purchased, actually get built! it will be interesting to see the numbers for this build. I am encouraged by Tim Glover's success with his T-Hunter. He just has some sanding to do, covering, and finally the servo install and he will be most likely be first to maiden his T-Hunter! Yay!

Cheers!
Lyle

Ann T

Post by Ann T » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:26 pm

I'm working on the centre panel. Just installed riblet 1sp and mistakenly glued in a "1" riblet (as specified on the plan) on the other side of the centre stack of ribs 🤬 It doesn't have clearance for sheeting...🤬🤬

I'm getting really frustrated with the number of errors in this kit. I've watched the videos and I've been trying to keep up with the build logs, but holy smokes, this is awful.

Please tell me the centre panel is the only error-filled part of this kit! I'm ready to pitch it.

Andy M

Post by Andy M » Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:56 pm

Andy M wrote:

> I found one riblet labelled 1c' but can't see it on the dwg. It has the
> same chord as riblet 2 on the middle panel, but the same depth as riblet 8
> on that panel.

OK, Riblet 1c' is that on the centre panel under the sheeting between 1B and 1C. This also explains the missing riblet in the parts noted 1' on the plan. Became obvious when I got to putting it all together.

Andy M

Post by Andy M » Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:55 pm

On the centre wing panel riblet 1sp does not have a notch for the ply leading edge. Best to cut a notch before installing the riblet.

There are 2 centre wing panel ply LEs provided. I think only 1 is needed. At least the plan and the notch width in the ribs seem to only indicate 1.

Andy M

Post by Andy M » Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:27 pm

I'm in the very early stages on the wing centre panel. But there are some things I've noticed where on my T-Hunter I'm going to make some mods. You can take these as suggestions if you wish. I'll likely add to these as I progress.

1. The wing rear bolt hole is almost at the trailing edge where the rib thickness at the hole is quite thin after removing the recess in the rib for the ply washer. I'm going to move it forward ~25 mm which will triple the rib thickness at the rear hole. This means of course also moving F9 in the fuselage forward. The launch load on the rear hole is low relative to the front hole, but nevertheless no harm in providing more margin.

2. The wing bolt size provided IMO is overkill. I'm going to use M4. Don't use nylon BTW. You may know my experience with that bolt material.

3. There is a gap between the underside of the wing and F8 and F9 which hold the wing bolt blind nuts. This puts a bending moment and extra stress on F8, F9 and the joint in the fuselage sides. Fill the gap with hard balsa or ply glued to the top of F8 and F9.

Andy M

Post by Andy M » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:18 pm

In the centre wing panel there are 9 riblets part 1'. I could only find 8, - or perhaps I lost 1? Looks like I'm going to have to cut one.

Also note riblets R1d' on the dwg are actually labelled 1d' on the parts.

I found one riblet labelled 1c' but can't see it on the dwg. It has the same chord as riblet 2 on the middle panel, but the same depth as riblet 8 on that panel.

Tim G

Post by Tim G » Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:15 am

Wing tip construction IMPORTANT NOTE
please note that the notches on the riblets for the wingtips, parts# 18, 20, 22, 24, 26 are too large.
This is addressed in Bernard’s build log video 9
This means you should focus on aligning the tips of these with the adjacent ribs and do not insert them fully into the spars.
You will need to glue in a small (approx. 1-2mm) scrap between the back end of these parts and the top and bottom spars.

If you need any tips on remaking these riblets, let me know ;-)

Happy hunting
Tim

Lyle J

Post by Lyle J » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:04 pm

Tim:
Thanks a bunch for the heads up! I think it's really important that the early builders post any discrepancies that they may find. This will help ensure those builders that follow later can avoid some problems.

Cheers!
Lyle

Tim G

Post by Tim G » Sat May 28, 2022 8:09 am

Be sure to refer to Bernard's YouTube build videos for the T-Hunter — They are a little rough but have some very useful information — look for the Hummingbird Model Products channel for a complete list - they are a work in progress but he seems to be posting new episodes regularly now.

Just a couple of notes regarding the centre wing section
1. As mentioned in Bernard’s first build video - two of the ribs which form the ends of the centre wing box are unmarked on the parts sheets. They are slightly narrower due to being covered top and bottom by sheeting they should be easy to find
2. Error on the drawing - the leftmost single rib which is part R1D is incorrectly shown on the drawing as part#1 - this is adjacent to the left outer rib stack R1E-R1H

Happy hunting - Tim
Last edited by Tim G on Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lyle J

Post by Lyle J » Thu May 26, 2022 7:40 am

Morning!
FYI, Bernard has just posted an electrified option for the next batch of T-Hunter kits. I suggested he should provide as an option, a complete extra fuselage so the buy can build both but use the same wing. A twofer! Also, the next batch of kits will also have the option of making removable V-tails! The development continues.

Just something to think about for the future, we could for instance try for a bulk purchase of just the electrified fuselage?

Cheers!
Lyle