Reply Here to Join or Start a Flying Session

Soaring is very weather-dependent and our climate is increasingly volatile. These factors favour planning our flying sessions on very short notice. You can check the weather at this link ... (RIGHT MOUSE CLICK, then OPEN LINK IN NEW TAB): Windfinder Superforecast .

If you're wondering how you are going to find some friends to fly with, then the Fly With Friends Forum is for you. Clicking on the "Fly with Friends" heading above, takes you to the Topic "Click Here to Join or Start A Flying Session". You will need your SOGGI username and password to participate, so if you have lost this info, Contact Webmaster Tom Crawford tomcr50@hotmail.com.
Forum rules
BEFORE YOU FLY AT SOGGI'S FLYING SITES ...

Be aware that the use of SOGGI's flying sites is limited to SOGGI Members and their accompanied Guests. Your continued enjoyment of our flying sites relies on maintaining good relationships with all stakeholders including Air Traffic Control, the pilots and their passengers who fly above us, the owner of the property that we are allowed to use, the farm personnel, our surrounding neighbours, and your fellow club members. Thank you for doing your part to maintain these relationships.

NOTAM PROCEDURE FOR OUR SOD FARM FLYING SITE

On any given day, flying is not permitted until SOGGI’s Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) has been Activated by making a phone-call to Hamilton Air Traffic Control (ATC). As of June 26 2017, ATC has stipulated that we MUST also call to De-activate our NOTAM whenever a flying session has apparently ended for the day. If other flyers arrive later on the same day, then this Activation/Deactivation process must be repeated.

Immediately on your arrival at the flying field, look in the Log Book to determine the activation status of SOGGI's Notice to Airmen (NOTAM). The Log Book is kept in the black waterproof folder attached to the inside of the Club House door.

The FIRST SOGGI Member to arrive at the field has the OBLIGATION to call ATC to activate the NOTAM. The LAST Member to depart the field has the OBLIGATION to call ATC to deactivate the NOTAM. Every SOGGI Member has authorization to act in this capacity. The obligation to activate/deactivate our NOTAM applies equally to FREE FLIGHT and to R/C FLYERS.

Complete instructions for calling ATC can be found in our Log Book. It takes less than a minute to call ATC and make a Log Book entry. If you'd like an onsite demonstration of how to make a call to ATC, contact any member of the SOGGI Executive.

Calls to ATC MUST be made FROM THE FLYING FIELD, meaning that a cell phone will be necessary. A log book entry MUST be made to document EVERY call to ATC.

TO AVOID MISUNDERSTANDINGS, NEVER UNLOAD ANY EQUIPMENT FROM YOUR CAR UNTIL THE NOTAM HAS BEEN ACTIVATED. If you encounter other persons flying, or preparing to fly when the NOTAM has not been activated, immediately report the incident to any member of SOGGI's Executive for follow up. We will need those persons' names, and/or license plate numbers, and the time and date of the incident.

Our Message Board's "Fly With Friends" forum is intended for Members to share their intentions to go flying. The "Fly With Friends" Forum also enables members who DO NOT own cell phones, to coordinate their flying sessions with members who DO have cell phones. It's in our collective interest for ALL members to make use of the forum, for this and for related purposes.

We believe that our membership achieved 100% compliance with the NOTAM procedure during 2016 and 2017. Thanks everyone, and let's do it again in 2018 !

Now it's time for you to hook up with some friends and have some fun. Scroll down and click on the Topic "Reply Here to Join or Start a Flying Session" . Happy Flying !
Lyle J

Re: Grabbin' My Snowshoes & Heading to the field!Reply Here to Join or Start a Flying Session

Post by Lyle J » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:34 pm

Should be a nice day at our new field.....the snow shouldn't be too high! Maybe we can have a weiner roast after!

Just testing! What were you thinking?? Lol!

Cheers!
Lyle

Tom C

Re: Reply Here to Join or Start a Flying Session

Post by Tom C » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:37 pm

Test entry after SW upgrade. TC.

:!:
:P

Andy M

Flying Friday Oct 26

Post by Andy M » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:27 am

I still intend to be at the field ~10:30, even though it does not look as good as it was. Andy

Bob H

Flying Thursday Oct 25 Mines Rd

Post by Bob H » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:03 pm

Starting 9 AM-ish, the plan is as follows:
A) Launch airplane, glide a lot, and then land somewhere nearby.
B) Repeat A) until fatigue sets in.
C) Go to Tim's to thaw out.

Also see Andy's note below, re flying tomorrow (Friday Oct 26).

Bob H

Andy M

Flying Friday Oct 26

Post by Andy M » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:31 pm

Update, it is still looking OK but a bit cool and the grass will likely be quite wet, so plan to get there 10:30 ish. I'll bring the DLG as might need the exercise to keep warm!

It looks windy all week until Thurs/Fri. I can't make it Thurs so if mother nature co-operates I plan to be at the field on Friday (26th).

Andy

Andy M

Westover Sunday Oct 14 prior to meeting

Post by Andy M » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:43 pm

At the moment the forecast looks OK for a visit to the slope before Sunday's meeting. So if it stays OK plan to be there about noon for 45 mins or so.

Andy M

Westover Wednesday Oct 10

Post by Andy M » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:56 pm

Conditions were A OK at Westover this morning. Wednesday's forecast is much the same so plan to be there around 10 am.
https://youtu.be/wO0lCgu9lzo
https://youtu.be/4IIGvlRCu8c

Andy M

Westover Tuesday Oct 9

Post by Andy M » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:32 am

Plan to be at Westover Tuesday ~10 am. Wind SW 20 gusting 30 kph. Sun/cloud mix 24 deg.

Andy M

Flying Wednesday October 3

Post by Andy M » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:43 pm

Update, I'm feeling rough with a bug and staying home.

Wednesday looks like a close to perfect day. I aim to be there 9 to 9:30 ish, flying off the histart and maybe some DLG.

I don't know where the hammer went. I'm pretty sure it was put in the clubhouse when I was the last to leave on Sunday Sept 23.

Bob H

Post Script ... Flying Saturday Sept 29

Post by Bob H » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:40 pm

Yup, it was windy.
Does anyone know where the SOGGI-General-Purpose-Hammer disappeared to?